Sunday, December 21, 2008

How to make stuffed animals



I made these cute stuffed animals for my friends kids. What makes the animals so cute is the cute fabric.
The penguin is made from a Burda pattern I got back in high school. I didn't realize how big it was going to be so I had just enough fabric - but I think it's so cute.
The flamingo pattern I made. It wasn't hard. I just drew out the flat image that I wanted and then made an almond shape for the belly - make it a little narrower near the tail and wider up top. And I made a rounded triangle shape for the head. The beck is just 2 triangles sewn together and the legs just tubes of fabric knotted for knees - and the feet just 2 pieces sewn together and turned around and sewn to the legs.
The tip I got from the penguin pattern is to leave the beck off and hand sew after once the neck is stuffed. And also leave a hole at the bottom so you can stuff and hand sew it closed.
Before I sewed it all up I sewed on to the body feathers - or ribbon loops. I got inspired by this monster. I just got a collection of ribbons that I had around and sewed them on in loops to sort of resemble wings.
I am so happy with how it turned out - so cute.
I also made a giraff but forgot to take a picture before I gave it away. I just altered the pattern from Pattern Bee - I just made the legs longer and the neck longer and thinner and changed the head shape. It turned out cute too.

No comments: