Thursday, March 26, 2009

How to make peanut butter






Ok, so I know I've made granola bars and now home made peanut butter. Don't worry, I'm still shaving my legs and haven't turned all hippy-dippy yet.



I found this site that had a mom made decorated a box that was filled with 31 projects for the month of March. I thought it was a cool idea. Not all her ideas I thought would work for us but I did print out a few of her ideas, as well as print out a bunch of others that I have saved. So now if I'm looking for something to do with the girls (mostly Lilo but I try to get Isla involved) I can pull one of these ideas out. I'm trying to get all the supplies for these projects so we can make it right away - but today she picked out the peanut butter directions so we had to go for a walk to buy peanuts.



The recipe for peanut butter is super simple, peanuts, a little oil and a little sugar - here it is. It actually came together really fast. I left the peanut butter a little gritty, if I make it again I would leave it longer in the food processor to make it smoother. Then add chopped peanut to make it chunky, since if you think about chunky peanut butter it's pretty smooth and just has a few pieces of peanuts.
But it still tasted good, Lilo couldn't keep her fingers out of it. And Isla liked it too - no wonder she likes her big sister so much.



I used 3 cups of peanuts and it made about 1 1/2 cups or so of peanut butter. I used some on sandwiches for lunch and some for peanut butter cookies.



I don't think I will be doing this all the time (we go through a lot of peanut butter in our house) but it was fun to try.

No comments: