Sunday, April 05, 2009

How to MSCE - day 3: Chocolate Chip Cookies


Yesterday I made the yummiest chocolate chip cookies. The recipes is actually called Pecan Supremes but I didn't have pecans so I used walnuts that I toasted in a frying pan for a bit. I also tried an experiment: I bake some like normal and then I baked 1 dozen after I chilled the dough in the fridge for an hour. I read somewhere that they cookies taste so much better after the dough has been chilled.

Well I conducted a taste test and one person said that the unchilled cookies had a nutty flavor, another said that the chilled cookies where chewier and the unchilled a little crispier. And the other said I was nuts and they tasted the same. So I don't think they was much of a difference. The chilled cookies were a little chewier and thicker but not as much difference as I thought it might be, maybe if they were chilled longer?

Either way they were/are yummy, a nice chewy cookie with just a little oats to give texture without being too dry and oaty. And they work well for ice cream sandwich cookies.
Here's the recipe.


Pecan Supremes cookies

2 c all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ c quick oats
¾ c packed brown sugar
¾ c granulated sugar
1 c salted butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c chopped pecans (or toasted walnuts)(or butterscotch chips for a yummy nut free cookie)
1 c semisweet chocolate chips

Yield: about 3 dozen – I made 37 cookies

Preheat oven to 300F
In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, salt, and oats. Mix well with whisk and set aside
In a large bowl, blend sugars with an electric mixer at med. speed. Add butter and mix to form grainy paste. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add eggs and vanilla. Beat at med. speed until light and fluffy.
Add the flour mixture, pecans and chocolate chips, and blend at low speed just until combined. Do not overmix.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet, 1 ½ inches apart. Bake for 18-20 mins. Immediately transfer cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.



Recipe from Mrs. Fields – best cookie book ever!

No comments: