Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How to make pretty monster cupcakes

Since Lilo's birthday is around Halloween she decided that she wanted monster cupcakes for her birthday, but not scary monsters. I showed her the monster cupcakes I made for a Halloween party but she thought they were too scary, so I thought brighter colours but same concept would be good. And then I also found some great ideas on Pinterest.
 I was trying to make big cupcakes that rise tall, that didn't work but instead they were just too big for little kids - oh well. To make them taller I put 1/2 a marshmallow on the top of the cupcakes. To cut the marshmallows run your knife under hot water and after you cut one marshmallow, rinse knife again.
Then pick a fun piping tip and add your coloured icing. The icing is about 1 1/2 cups of soften butter, about 3-4 cups of icing sugar, and a splash of milk - I don't measure just taste test. To ice the cupcake, start from the top of marshmallow and bring down to the edges and repeat until the cupcake is covered.
The eyes are just suckers with a dot of white icing and a mini M&M - the eyelashes are 3 chocolate sprinkles. And then I added a red M&M for a nose (or mouth).
And to make rainbow cupcakes you just divide and dye the batter and layer before you bake.

I made 3 different coloured monsters, using a different tip for each colour. The kids ended up eating the suckers and a bit of icing and that's it. Next year I need to make mini cupcakes instead.

No comments: