Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How to re-cover our bar stools


BEFORE

We use our bar stools everyday - we have a higher table in the basement where we eat most of our meals. The stools were covered in some black vinyl and were starting to rip. With the help of a 3 year old, they were ripping even more.
I was at Wal-mart the other day (since I don't have to pretend that Z store is as good anymore since I don't work there anymore) and I found iron on vinyl. I saw it used on Martha before but couldn't find it until now.
So my first project with the iron on vinyl was to cover our bar stools. I had some fabric which I bought ages ago and loved but didn't know what to do with it.
I removed the cushion from the stool - just 4 screws - and then removed the old vinyl. I probably should have fixed the foam under it but since I didn't have any on hand I didn't bother - it looks fine. I then cut a piece of fabric to close to the size of the cushion - big enough so you can pull over the cushion and staple down. I was lucky that the cushion wasn't any bigger since the iron on vinyl is only 17" wide.
I then pressed the fabric to remove any wrinkles and used a lint roller to remove any fluff. Then cut out a piece of iron on vinyl to the same size (or a little smaller). It has paper on one side that you remove and then stick on to the fabric - it's not super sticky so you can reposition it if you need. Follow direction to iron on - when cooled peel off paper and there you go - laminated fabric. Very cool.
Then just staple on to the cushion - do the 4 staples first then work around. It takes a lot of staples. Then trim and staple on the cover fabric piece that you took off at the beginning and screw back on. Now I have custom stools - they look cool.


AFTER

Couple notes on the iron on vinyl - it is clear but the colours of the fabric do dull a bit, so black won't be true black.
I was going to use the iron on vinyl to make these re-usable baggies so I was going to use the vinyl on both sides (the package says you can) - it works but makes the fabric very stiff - not sure what if can be used for.
It would work best on smooth fabrics - textures not as well.
The package also says - only handwash and that you have to touch up after so that might limit what you can do with it. I thought it would be good for bibs but maybe not. If I try anything else I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff, check out the wide range of bar stool from Spacify.com