Thursday, September 10, 2009

How to have your kid learn while they eat breakfast

I can't believe my little girl had her first day of junior kindergarten today. Time flies by so fast.

I saw these on some blog - somewhere (I really need to save the links so I can credit people). EDIT - I found the original site where this idea came from Avocado & Papaya.

I made these alphabet pancakes on Tuesday to get her excited about school.

The secret is a turkey baster - just make sure your batter is thin enough. I've also heard that you can use one of those ketchup type squeeze bottles and put the batter in. I used the turkey baster and most letters worked the first time, but I'll admit that some broke in the transfer to the tray.

Lilo was trying to spell her name with it - we turned the T into another L. Then she wrote MOM and figured out on her own that she could make another M with the W.

As she was eating the letters we were coming up with different words that start with each letter.

With rest of the batter I made a couple heart pancakes - you just use the baster to make the heart and then let it cook a little and then pour the pancake over top of it. This would be an easier way to do letters too.

Since Lilo likes pancakes a lot for breakfast I will often make up a full batch of pancakes and then freeze the extras. I put them single layer on a cookie sheet and then put them in a ziplock when they are frozen for a quick weekday meal. To heat, you can put them in a toaster or I just throw them in the microwave. They aren't the best in the microwave but Lilo still tells me I make the best pancakes - so in other words kids usually don't complain.

Here's the recipe that I have for pancakes.

Ingredients

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
2 eggs
2 Tblsp oil
1-2 cups milk (depends on how thin you want the batter - for the alphabet I used 2 cups)

No comments: