Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How to make a tea party play-mat

Here is one of the projects I have been working on for Christmas presents, a tea party play-mat. I love how it turned out. For Christmas this year, I decided to make a few things and try not to buy anything since I have so much fabric and stuff that I shouldn't have to. So all I bought for this play mat was the tea set and I also got a cute basket at the dollar store to store it all in.
The fabric is a combination of inherited fabric, left over from Lilo's baby's room and odd scraps.
To make, I just zig zagged all the pieces in place. Since I didn't use any fusible web (because I was lazy and didn't think I needed to waste it) I found it easier to sew the outer plate on the place mat first and then work my way in to the flower last and then sew the place mat to the table cloth. The first time I tried, I sewed the flower on to the inside layer of the plate but it stretched the fabric a bit and didn't lie as flat so I found more layers of fabric made it lie flatter - plus a good ironing.

I sewed a ribbon in a ring to hold the napkins in place. The napkin I just sewed the edges over and trimmed one end with lace.
I was originally thinking of double layering the table cloth but the fabric was heavy enough that I didn't think it was necessary so I just trimmed the edges in the floral fabric.

This tea party set was for a friend's little girl. When I was setting it up to take photos Lilo was so excited, which I'm happy about since I made her one too (in different coloured scraps, no photo since Lilo has decided not to nap lately)

3 comments:

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

That's so cute!! Great job. I love the doily in the middle.

Anonymous said...

This is the perfect addition to gift I am working on for two of my grand daughters. Thank you for the inspiration. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

' said...

Love this idea! Wonder if I can find the time to make one for my daughter...